The American Academy of Pediatrics encourages parents to foster healthy media habits for children at a young age. Here’s what they recommend:
- Limit your child’s screen time based on their age
- Under 18 months should not have any screen time (apart from video chatting family/friends)
- 18-24 months may be introduced to high-quality, educational media
- 2 years+ should be limited to no more than 1 hour of screen time daily
- All media use should be supervised and used as an interactive learning tool appropriate for your child’s age
- “Screen free” zones should include your child’s bedroom and mealtime areas
- Excessive screen time for children is linked to behavioral issues, sleep problems, obesity, and other health concerns. Keep your little one healthy by encouraging a variety of activities that both stimulate their minds and allow for active play!
As always, if you have questions about screen time, consult your pediatrician.
For more information, visit these American Academy of Pediatrics links: