Parents need a break sometimes! But there are a few things you should do to prepare before leaving your little one with someone new. Here are a few tips from the experts about finding the right babysitter for your family!
- Selecting a Babysitter
- Review the credentials:
- Meet with your prospective babysitter ahead of time to discuss experience and references
- Confirm up to date CPR and First Aid certification
- Schedule a time for your prospective babysitter to meet your child with your supervision
- Ask questions regarding how they would handle things like emergencies, tantrums, etc.
- How Parents Can Prepare
- Create an emergency list
- Include contact information for parents, neighbors, your pediatrician, and emergency services
- Write down your home address and where you plan to go (with contact information if available)
- Include any medications and allergies your child has and what to do in an emergency
- Give a tour of your home and be sure to point out any potential hazards including pools/spas, medications, etc.
- Create a loose schedule of what you would like done and when (bath time, bedtime, feeding time, activities, homework, etc.)
Choosing the right caregiver for your family is a big choice and hopefully these tips will help you feel secure in your choice! As always, if you have questions about finding a babysitter for your family, contact your pediatrician. For more information, visit this American Academy of Pediatrics link: