- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective. Consider adding reflective tape to costumes and trick-or-treat bags to increase visibility
- Make sure costumes fit well and are short enough to prevent tripping and entanglement
- Avoid masks that can limit or block eyesight.
Pumpkin safety tips:
- Small children should draw on pumpkins rather than carving them.
- Consider using a glow stick or flashlight instead of a candle to light pumpkins and make your Halloween decorations safe!
Trick-or-Treating safety tips:
- Bring a cell phone for quick communication.
- Give each little trick-or-treater a glow stick or flashlight to carry.
- Hold your child’s hand when walking from house to house.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and remain in well-lit areas.
- Remind children not to eat candy until it has been inspected by an adult.
- Check all candy for openings in the wrapper, allergens, and appropriateness for your child’s age.