The American Academy of Pediatrics encourages parents to foster healthy media habits for children at a young age. Here’s what they recommend:
- Limit your child’s screen time based on their age
- Under 18 months should not have any screen time (apart from video chatting family/friends)
- 18-24 months may be introduced to high-quality, educational media
- 2 years+ should be limited to no more than 1 hour of screen time daily
- All media use should be supervised and used as an interactive learning tool appropriate for your child’s age
- “Screen free” zones should include your child’s bedroom and mealtime areas
- Excessive screen time for children is linked to behavioral issues, sleep problems, obesity, and other health concerns. Keep your little one healthy by encouraging a variety of activities that both stimulate their minds and allow for active play!
- As always, if you have questions about screen time, consult your pediatrician.
For more information, visit these American Academy of Pediatrics links: