We all know that protecting children’s skin is important and here a few simple ways to make sure your little one is sun safe:
- Sunscreen should be applied every day! Not just when it’s sunny outside!
- Select a “broad spectrum” sunscreen
- This means it has coverage for both UVA & UVB rays
- Select SPF 30 or higher
- Sunscreen needs 15-30 minutes to absorb prior to sun exposure and needs to be reapplied regularly (check the label for timing)
- For sensitive skin, choose a sunscreen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as the active ingredients
- When possible, cover your child in comfortable, lightweight clothing
- Babies under 6 months should be kept out of direct sunlight
As always, if you have questions about how to keep your child sun safe, consult your pediatrician.
For more information, visit this American Academy of Pediatrics link: