Fall is here and you know what that means…flu season! Unfortunately, the flu is responsible for thousands of deaths in the US each year and the illness tends to be more pronounced in preschool and school-aged children. Fortunately, this year the flu vaccination is available in both shot and nasal spray formulations to help protect your entire family. The CDC recommends that everyone over 6 months of age with no medical contraindications receives the flu vaccine each year. This is especially important if a child has a chronic health issue.
- What else can I do to keep my family free of the flu?
- Teach your children to wash their hands regularly
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Do not share drinks or utensils
- Clean surfaces with disinfectant solutions regularly
- Every employee at Hilltop Preschool is required to get a flu vaccine each year in an effort to keep your children safe and healthy
- Symptoms of the flu:
- Fever (usually above 101°F)
- Chills, body aches, fatigue
- Sore throat, dry cough
- Stuffy, runny nose
- Some children may throw up and have loose stools as well. This is not common in adults.
The flu is no fun and we all want to keep ourselves and our families happy and healthy this season! Contact your physician and your child’s pediatrician to discuss the flu vaccine soon! As always, if you have questions about the flu vaccine consult your pediatrician.
For more information, visit these helpful links: